Thursday, March 13, 2008

Breast Cancer Awareness Day - The Hidden Message Behind The Awareness Day That Can Save Your Life

My story shall help you to make the right decision. Do not put off mammograms or self checks easily. Breast cancer can develop in you as well. I want to increase awareness by warning every women out there that she can be next.

My cancer was detected early and thanks to this I am still alive and well. It was not easy in the beginning. After the cancer was detected the doctor recommended that I wait because the cancer was very small. I did not follow his advice. I wanted to get rid of the cancer as fast as I possibly could.

Was it false advice? I do not know. I only know that I took action. I got the scan, then the biopsy and finally the mastectomy. It was tough, very tough. It all happened within few days.

Today I am cancer free but what would have happened if I waited? Breast cancer spreads to the lymph nodes and who knows where else. There is a point of no return when you wait too long. They can not remove every piece of your body that has been infected.

Within the last 12 months three of my friends have been diagnosed with breast cancer. I always told them to make self checks and get mammograms frequently. Maybe that saved their lives.

There are still many doctors that tell you that there is no need to check for signs of breast cancer before you are 40 or so. If you ask me I would not listen to this advice but get mammograms much earlier than that. There is also cancer in very young women. Ignorance can be a fatal mistake.

Every day in October there is the National Breast Cancer Awareness Day. Millions of women worldwide are suffering from this type of tumor and, unfortunately, will continue to get breast cancer. Being aware of this can save your life. Do not just think about it in October.

No comments: